Many of my clients are looking for ways to assist their teams in learning to work from home successfully. Here is a short list:
- Schedule regular office hours and keep them.
- Plan and structure your day as usual. Routine and structure will help you feel accomplished and productive.
- Set aside a work area. Make sure you have the right light and ergonomic set up. It is also good to negotiate and coordinate ground-rules with family and housemates about hours, interruptions, noise etc.
- Keep your normal dress and “get ready for work” habits. You will feel better!
- Avoid distractions: turn off social media notifications while working and TV or other media.
- Schedule breaks. Get out of the house for some air. Set reminders on your phone to take breaks if you need to.
- Make sure you have the right equipment and accounts for tools that enable productivity and communication (Zoom, Slack, WEBX etc.)
- Socialize with colleagues e.g. Have lunch together in a zoom room, or share breakfast, breaks or drinks over Zoom or whatever video media you are using.
- Over communicate. Tell everyone your schedule and availability for meetings, when you are taking breaks or lunch etc.
- End the day with a routine just like starting the day. Let everyone know when you are signing off for the day … and DO sign off. Don’t let work creep into every other aspect of your life. Especially now when there are gaps that you would normally fill in with social activity.
I hope you find these helpful and please feel free to share them! Please also take a look at my previous blog on 5 ways to manage the emotional side of this pandemic and share as well.
2020 Copyright. All Rights Reserved.