That is what my neighbor said the other morning when we met on the street under a smoke- filled sky taking our dogs out for a quick bio-break. (I live in California). He was quite serious but I burst out laughing, behind my mask, of course. I couldn’t help it. It was one of those lines that is funny because it is true. Here we are in a worldwide pandemic, living in a state (among others) that is on fire. This time last year 100,000 acres had burned in California due to wildfires. Today 3+ MILLION acres have burned. These days the words, “Anything is possible” have a whole new meaning for many of us. So, it inspired me to put into writing some thoughts that have been rattling around in my brain as we live through this bizarre time. Here are 12 of them:
- Family and friends are all that counts. It’s in the heart, not in the flesh. But “ouch” anyway, because I miss them so!
- Sometimes, good enough is good enough.
- Life is “this AND that”: funny and tragic, happy and grief stricken etc. Saying “yes” to both is the hardest and most powerful spiritual practice around.
- If you feel like you’re falling off a cliff, remember, whoever it is you need to become will be there to catch you.
- Focusing on gratitude is life-changing, even if it takes all day to find something for which to be grateful.
- You can’t NOT smile when watching a hummingbird.
- The only thing we control is ourselves and our response to life.
- Faith, hope and love are no joke, they’re the real deal.
- Prolonged weariness will either lead you to transformation or to the emergency room.
- There is always beauty in the world. Seriously, keep looking…it’s there….I promise…just…keep…..looking.
- Ever since going to the grocery store became as arduous as packing for an international trip, it’s good to know that you really CAN make something decent for dinner with all those bizarre pantry items with long past expiration dates.
- Last but not least, making the perfect martini is both an art form and a Godsend!
Copyright 2020 Sheila Madden. All Rights Reserved